[Evolution-hackers] shell shutdown, refcounts etc.

Oh yeah i meant to bring this up in the meeting but by the time i remembered we were onto something else.

The shell intentionally ignores refcounts when shutting down.  This fixes (and to me seems the only practical way to fix - the refcount code is very painful in the shell, without adding all the other layers on top) the problem of 'evolution doesn't quit when i exit', when it just sits there waiting for nothing, in bonobo main.

Thats why the component "shutdown" method has a return code, so a component can say its busy shutting down until it is fully shutdown, and then evolution forcibly exits.  Shutdown really is shutdown, its not just "close this window"

(and is akin to the xwindows destroy event, it means 'go away i dont care if you're still running, you've got nothing to display on anymore so there's no point arguing about it').

Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>

Ximian Evolution and Free Software Developer

Novell, Inc.