Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution's editors

Rodney Dawes wrote:
On Enj , 2004-04-01 at 17:39 +0200, guenther wrote:

However, the Contact Editor is *big*, like you mentioned yourself. *Too*
big IMHO. The dialog is more than 600 pixels high.

On a 800x600 display this will not only cover most of the screen -- this
will effectively disable the user to access the buttons at the bottom.
The [OK] button will be cut off the screen, if there is a Menu Panel at
the top of the screen.

Any possibility of adding one or two tabs and therefore making the
dialog lighter? Do we care about that resolution?

I don't think we do. The default resolution for new machines has been
1024x768 for
quite some time now. I think it might even be larger than that these
days, but most
of the cheaper laptops are 1024x768. The iBook is no longer 800x600
even.

Default resolution is a bit different than minimum resolution. Dialogs should be able to be used at 800x600. That is a totally reasonable resolution on some systems (projectors, tablets, legacy etc.) and for some people (sight-limited, etc). It may not look great at 800x600 but the user should be able to operate the dialog. There is very little that is worse than a dialog that pops up that you can't use.

Not to say that there isn't too much information in the dialog really,
but it is
quite hard to design a simple UI around such a complex and extensible
format.

-- dobey

Jon