Re: [Evolution-hackers] creating new calendars, contact groups, and task groups

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 06:26 -0500, Larry Ewing wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 16:51 -0500, Anna M Dirks wrote:
> > Greetings all.
> >
> > The purpose of this mail is to solicit feedback from you about a
> > possible redesign of the tools used to add new groups of contacts, new
> > groups of tasks, and new calendar in Evolution 2.0.
> >
> > Currently, all of these things are configured using wizards. This
> > approach is inappropriate, because in most cases there is very little
> > information required to add a new group -- so that adding one using a
> > wizard takes significantly more time (and mouse clicks) than is
> > necessary.
> >
> > I propose that replace these wizards with a set of simple dialogs.
>
> As I sat down to implement this I noticed this change may end up causing
> us problems in the future.  With the druid based approach if a new
> evolution-data-server backend is added then we'd simply need to add the
> new source type to the type selector on the first druid page and replace
> the subsequent druid pages with controls the backend provided.  With the
> new plan of simple dialogs I don't see how we could add new types in the
> future if the options they need don't match the options of the current
> sources exactly.

hm, right - unless we dynamically add pages to the dialog depending on
the source type, which is kind of a gross idea.

we have a bounty for a contact db backend.  what sort of information
would we need for that?  db server hostname, port, database name, user
password?  Assuming of course the schemas are hardcoded.

Chris