Re: [Evolution-hackers] [Evolution-Hackers]#49844:New-menu should have fully qualified names

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 11:30, Benjamin Kahn wrote:
> Yes, but in English having the "New" repeated again and again is
> awkward.  It seems the best solution would be to use the fully qualified
> names on languages with this problem.  I understand that gettext does
> string folding on strings that are the same and so it's difficult to
> make sure these strings are unique.  Is there a solution to this
> problem?

2.6 has a macro that lets you put "comments" into
strings-to-be-translated so that you can keep them from being folded
with other similar strings. So you can do:
	Q_("New|Appointment")
which will show up as "Appointment" in English, but the translator can
translate it to something different from other instances of
"Appointment".

(Although I think it's currently only usable in C files, not .server
files or any other XML stuff, so we'd need to do some intltool hacking.)

-- Dan