Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution's editors

A few comments on the task editor.

Is it always necessary to label each field? The "Class: [Confidential]"
field seems less clear to me then if it was just the dropdown
[Confidential]".

I do not like the Categories tab for the same reasons I didn't in the
contact editor. Likewise I'm not entirely sure how it could be improved.
I know I never use it in Outlook at work because it feels so cumbersome.

The "Priority" field which is currently on the "Status" field seems
misplaced. I would think you would want to set the priority at creation
time.

The fields in the Status tab seem to overlap too much. You may already
have some interactive changes which only happen when you edit the fields
- its hard to tell from a screenshot - but I'll suggest them anyway.

I would hide fields that don't apply for the current status. I don't
know if it possible to have a field be invisible but taken into account
when doing the packing nonetheless. That would be nice and prevent
arbitrary resizing.

Perhaps something like this:

#1:
Status [Not started]

#2:
Status [In Progress]
	Percent completed --------------------|--------------- 70%

	[Reassign] <-- a button:
		if the task isn't going well you may want to
		reassign who is handling the task... can tasks send
		out a notice to the original person and tell them
		they can stop working on it?

#3:
Status [Cancelled]

#4:
Status [Completed]
	Date completed: [______]

I don't know if there is enough information to justify an entire tab
with just this. Perhaps the assign field should be on this tab to? ie.
whose doing it and how far are they along? and maybe the start date and
due date as well? ie. all of the resources for planning the actual task
as distinct from the details of the task?

Or perhaps it would be better to have two task editors. One for creating
the task when you do the initial specification (without the status tab)
and another for editing an existing task where you have a stronger split
between the task details and the progress of the task.

Patrick