Re: [Evolution-hackers] Initialization sequence

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 05:57, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
Right now the components on the new-ui-branch start up pretty much
blank, because no data is set up by default and the code doesn't use
~/evolution anymore.

I have a related question ...

Currently the shell starts up and doesn't really activate anything - I guess it will eventually activate whatever was activated before.  But in any event, if you're not in mail, the mail component isn't even started.  Fine, it doesn't use much memory, and is lightening fast ... but it also means the mail component isn't properly setup, because much of the mail initialisation code was moved from the factory, which is the first entry point of the whole library, to the mail component.  (actually it also means mail checking or filtering wont happen, and a lot of other things, its going to have to be initialised like it was before, I think).

But if you then bring up the settings window, you get mail settings, which depend on stuff now initialised by the mail component (which hasn't run yet), and things fall over.

I know you moved the stuff out of the factory for a reason, but what was it?  The mail session (and by extension, all camel resources, all filter resources) is a global resource (since it is based on the filesystem), and not merely connected to the 'mail component' as such.