Re: [Evolution-hackers] spam filtering

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 04:52, Not Zed wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 01:57, Radek Doulík wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > before I start implementing spam filtering for evolution, I would
> > like to discuss my plan. Please read the whole mail and comment. I
> > am describing the model from user view and then implementation
> > details and some things to think about. I took Ettore's model as a
> > base and modified it a little bit - mostly simplified.
> >
> > User view
> >
> >       * incoming messages are identified by spam filter as spam or
> >         nospam (IMAP messages are filtered once completed - fully
> >         downloaded).
>
> As jeff said ... i think .. perhaps this will have to be done always,
> and since you may as well do filtering at the same time, it might best
> be done as some sort of implicit filter action (or something run on
> every message before its filtered).  Of course, filters only apply to
> 'inbox', do we need this to apply to other folders too??  (if people
> are doing server-side filtering, presumably they are doing server-side
> spam filtering too?)

On the other hand just doing server side stuff (filtering/spam
detection) doesn't mean that they don't want to do it on the client side
too.

On the mailserver we have a site wide spamfilter, and I have a server
side sieve/procmail rule that puts all spams in the Spam folder. However
I can't change the rules they use to detect spam, so I want to do it on
the client too... (and not just on the inbox, as I do most filtering on
the server). So it would be nice to be able to do both spam filtering
and "ordinary" filtering on all folders automatically, not only the
inbox.

> >       * spam messages are moved to Spam folder or deleted
>
> It would be nice to at least have an option that this is controlled by
> the user.  i.e. by a filter and vFolder/search rule to match the spam
> bit.

Combining server and client side spamfiltering, it would be nicer to
have a "real" Spam folder.

/torkel