Re: [Fwd: RE: [Evolution-hackers] making contacs more useful]

> Yes, LDAP would do the job with all the extra fields needed.
> Problem: evolution can only view LDAP contacts, no adding/editing. And
> who provides the UIufor editing the extra fields I listed as examples?
> How about using those extra fields ( contacting people right from
> evolution contact lists ) ?

For a multi-user network LDAP is the ideal choice - it has bindings for
every language, supports partitioning and replication, etc...

> If a LDAP server is the best choice, how will single users benefit these
> contacting options? As a desktop user, I wouldn't like to configure a
> LDAP server.

True, as a laptop user I don't want to install a private LDAP server
either,  although I user server when I'm actually on-net.

> Would the solution be LDAP support for the rest of applications? (
> gnomemeeting, instant messaging... )

We are talking about GNOME apps?  Why not create a CORBA/Bonobo
service?  Then applications can use that for contact information, etc...
Additional attributes should be definable pretty easily via XML
descriptions.  Someone could then create an LDAP backend or sync module
without too much trouble.