Re: [Evolution-hackers] making contacs more useful

Il mer, 2003-08-06 alle 15:48, Marius Andreiana ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> Like most of the people out there using evolution, the evolution
> Contacts is my primary database of contacts. I even print it from time
> to time to keep a printed phone list ( to keep the list shorter I have a
> Phone group )
>
> However, there are other applications which implement contacts and I
> re-enter them again in a lot of places. For example, gnome-meeting and
> gaim. Would be great to have these cooperate.
>
> For start, what do you think about adding these fields to contacts:
> * a video conference URL ( e.g. callto://... )
> * instant messenger ( choose protocol and enter account ID ).

Having things co-operate doesn't necessarily mean moving the entire
amount of UI into the origianl application. :) GnomeMeeting uses the
NetMeeting ILS for obvious reasons, and this is not reasonably
implementable as an addressbook source for evolution, so I've been
talking to people and making a better plan of attack. For what it's
worth, I'm working with the gnomemeeting hackers to make this all
integrate nicely.

As for Instant Messaging, there is code in a branch on cvs that
adds support for some of the base protocols, so that the Addressbook
knows what type the main ones are (AIM, ICQ, MSN). However, since
there can be an arbitrary number of accounts, per user, per IM
system, and an arbitrary number of supported systems, it makes for
a daunting task to have this in an addressbook UI, or to put code
specifically for this stuff in the addressbook itself. As it turns
out, I am also hacking on an Instant Messenger client that will
integrate with the evolution addressbook, and calendar. As soon as
the public API stuff gets merged into HEAD for the addressbook and
calendar, I will start hacking it to use it.

> Next, when browsing contacts, have more options on right click:
> * Video conference
> * Instant message
> * E-mail
>
> I don't know if listing these with right click is the best option, as
> the list may grow.

Actually, these probably do belong in the right click menu, among other
things. We will just have to control how much actually goes there.

> A plugin system with more ways of contacting would also be nice, e.g.
> 'Send SMS' ( which would call an application with cell phone as
> parameter ).

Technically, there is a "plug-in system" already. It's called bonobo. :)
SMS will be a difficult thing though, as there is no universal way to
send an SMS message to people internationally, unless your cellular
provider supports it, and you send the SMS messages through your phone,
as far as I know. My provider doesn't support international SMS yet,
which is quite a pain, since they charge you the dime for sending a
message, regardless.

> Another idea : a gnome instant messenger could use evolution contacts
> instead of managing the contacts itself. On start read the evolution
> contacts database instead of it's own ( this way one doesn't have to
> enter contacts again in the instant messenger ).

That is my plan. :)

> Gnome-meeting could do the same, but it might be better to drop Address
> book completely and add people from it directly to evolution.

This is also my plan. I'm working with the gnomemeeting developers to
do stuff like this. There will be much integration between gnomemeeting,
evolution, and senility (the IM client that I am writing).

> Your thoughts?

They are above. :)

-- dobey