Re: Please re-add the statusbar

On 10/29/05, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 26/10/2005 alle 12.57 +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev ha
> scritto:
> > В Вск, 18/09/2005 в 16:18 +0200, Luca Ferretti пишет:
> > > Trying the HEAD version, it seems that the statusbar was removed.
> > >
> > > So, why?
> > >
> > > Of course the current loading-text rendered directly on page is really
> > > better then the progressbar in stable branch, but IMHO the statusbar is
> > > still useful to resize window (using the corner grip) and to show menu
> > > items tips to the user (this could be very helpful for a lot of users).
> > >
> > > If the statusbar was removed just to gain more space for the page, view,
> > > please let the users will chose it by View->Statusbar :-)
> > >

> > Hello Luca.
> >
> > Sorry for late reply, this mail was floating in my mbox and I constantly
> > think about it. Just wanna say "me too" :) I think currently it's
> > impossible to do so. But let's hope some days truth will win.
> >

> Forgot to mention: statusbar can also used to show if the document has
> security features. Well, maybe I should follow Adobe and say "special
> status or special features"
>
> Adode Acrobat Reader has "Document Status icons are always located at
> the bottom-left corner of the document window". Try to use it to open
> encrypted document.

I haven't been following this dicussion, only saw it now, but
personally I think the statusbar is extremely important to see where
links actually go - I look for this often. I think that is a basic
thing that all browsers must have to give users the chance to review
where they are going. Many other apps alos have status bars, like test
editors inform you what line you are on. Not having it seems like a
dumbed-down explorer like thingy where everything is trusted.
--
Kristoffer Lundén
✉ kristoffer lunden gmail com