Thanks, praise and the inevitable RFE

Hello evincers!

Within a few short weeks you have surpassed any other
PDF viewer on the Gnome desktop so far, by making
it read one of my "test cases", the Adobe font
specimen sheets. Where other viewers only show
garbled letters, evince actually works. Example:

http://store.adobe.com/type/browser/pdfs/GARP/AGaramondPro-Regular.pdf

Thanks a lot!

If you want another torture test file for PDF viewers, please
have a look at TYPO:

http://www.magtypo.cz/download/TYPO_2004_11.pdf

It surely messes up everything except Adobe Acrobat, but
then this is probably bordering on the pathological.

I've got one further feature wish, and I will not
hesitate to file it in bugzilla, if I am not
completely persuaded otherwise here. I do realize
that too many features are bad, and that one mans
feature is an other's clutter, but here we go:

The only thing I always missed in gpdf was a
menu entry to display the fonts used in a document.
I always had to use Adobe Acrobat for this, until
I discovered pdffonts from the xpdf distribution:

client21% pdffonts Downloads/AGaramondPro-Regular.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
EHFHOF+AdobeCorpID-Adobe             Type 1C      yes yes yes     54  0
EHFIEB+AdobeCorpID-MyriadRg          Type 1C      yes yes no      52  0
EHFIHF+00MyriadPro-Bold              Type 1C      yes yes no      64  0
EHFIIL+00MyriadPro-Regular           Type 1C      yes yes no      63  0
EHFIOH+00AGaramondPro-Regular        Type 1C      yes yes yes     69  0
EHFKBF+01AGaramondPro-Regular        Type 1C      yes yes yes     79  0
EHFHEM+TimesNewRoman                 TrueType     yes yes no      59  0
EHFIEB+AdobeCorpID-MyriadRg          Type 1C      yes yes no       7  0
EHFIHF+00MyriadPro-Bold              Type 1C      yes yes no       8  0
EHFNKA+02AGaramondPro-Regular        Type 1C      yes yes yes      9  0
EHFPKA+03AGaramondPro-Regular        Type 1C      yes yes yes     10  0
EHFFLB+TimesNewRoman                 CID TrueType yes yes yes     11  0
EHGAAH+LucidaSansUnicode             TrueType     yes yes no      12  0
EHFIHF+00MyriadPro-Bold              Type 1C      yes yes no      13  0

It would be really cool to have this functionality in the GUI if ever
evince gets a way to display document metadata. It is often helpful
for diagnosing PDF problems, for finding out what fonts certain
corporations use, etc.

BTW, I "found" the Adobe Reader 7.0 beta somewhere, and I think it must
have been done by very sick people. It shows that even with a toolkit
with so much inherent beauty, you can make programs really ugly and
awkward. When I first saw its MDI (and the strange window decorations) I
had to laugh out loud. I won't have to use it, and I can't discribe how
grateful I am that you made this possible.

/ralph