Re: stacked buttons and address bar... why?

Em 21 Jul, 2005, às 8:34 AM, Reinout van Schouwen escreveu:
Welcome to this list. If I may ask, is your reason for posting here to provide constructive criticism, or just to spout derogatory remarks? If it is the former, you may want to re-think the tone of your sentences.

That someone is derogatory does not necessarily mean they're wrong. (Though as I know from experience, it's unproductive, since it naturally makes people more likely to think you're wrong, and more likely to disagree with you even if they think you're right.)

As for the buttons on the main toolbar: in the way Epiphany is designed to be used, the Bookmarks editor and the History window play a prominent role.

Is "the way Epiphany is designed to be used" documented anywhere? I find it quite frustrating that I have to open the History window so often, for example, instead of using the Go menu. Why doesn't the Go menu contain a global history, like it does in Firefox and MSIE/Mac and like the History menu does in Safari?

And you may not search webpages often, but others do, and the Find button is the quickest way to do it when one is not familiar with the keyboard shortcuts.

At the expense of preventing them from learning the keyboard shortcut. (The "Go" button has the same problem.)

As for the Homepage button, I don't really know how often it is used generally - but arguably more often than the Forward button, that you don't seem to think of as "wasted space".

What do people use home pages for? Have there been any studies on this?

Did Netscape and Microsoft really get it right then with their original browser designs?

"We always figured there'd be a much more sophisticated way of navigating, but no one ever came up with it. Things like the Back and forward button, we never intended that to be a permanent part of the interface." <http://wired.com/news/business/0,1367,57661,00.html>

(IMHO, any browser with Back and Forward buttons doesn't fulfil Epiphany's claim of "the simplest interface possible for a browser".)

One design doesn't fit all. That's why you can reorganize the Epiphany toolbar to your hearts' content with the toolbar editor (under the Edit menu).

It seems to me that the Safari/Firefox GUI is more concise _and_ easier to use.

Excuse me, but the user interfaces of Safari and Firefox are not exactly identical.

The toolbars of Safari and Firefox are substantially similar, much more similar to each other than either of them and Epiphany. The noticable common features are (1) a single toolbar by default, and (2) separate address and search fields.

And if you think the Firefox GUI is concise, you probably never saw its Preferences window.

True. :-)

Epiphany's default GUI is drawn out and verbose, like a "learn to program" book that describes how to use a mouse and what a CPU is in chapter 1.

Sounds exactly like the impression it *should* make on first time users!

Really? Would it perhaps be better if the browser tried as hard as possible to stay out of the way?

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/