Re: Trouble connecting

Hello Beartooth,

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, beartooth wrote:

access changes weirdly. Sometimes my main machine can get to email only; sometimes it can't get to the Web, but my backup can; and for a while today, it could get to the web with at least one browser, but not with at least one other.

Sounds like you may want to go look for a different ISP... :-)

Right now, on the main machine, Opera 8.5 works, but Epiphany 1.6.3 gets a box saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact the proxy server you have configured. Please check your proxy settings and try again."

I was lucky enough to find a mention of the URL about:config in a post
here, and looked in it; the proxy settings there are the ones I use
everywhere.

The proxy settings Epiphany listens to are in the GNOME control center. Look under the Desktop menu under Preferences, Network Proxy.
You can try to disable the proxy there.

Also, if I change a setting in about:config, what do I do to make it take?

about:config changes will be remembered automatically, but if you find a case where you absolutely need to use about:config in Epiphany, please file a bug - it shouldn't be necessary.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen