Re: default image zoom

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:09:50PM +0200, Jens Finke wrote:
> Ok, I think I could reproduce the behaviour. It will work if your image is
> large enough (in kbytes) to switch to progressive image loading. This is
> used for images > 1MB. If your image size is smaller it is loaded in one
> run.  In this case the image size detection is broken. This is definetly a
> bug.

Fantastic!  I've just upgraded to 2.3.3 and I don't see this problem any more.
Great work guys, thanks!

> > As sort of a final note, I noticed that images which are too large for the
> > screen are resized and shrunk down until they fit.  I'm not clear on the
> > logic that is used to select this new size, but it isn't the maximum amount
> > of available space on the screen (it seems to be consistant at 64% zoom
> > though).  I wish there was an option in the prefernecces box that would
>
> Eog looks for your visible screen size and scales the image so that it's
> dimension is maximal 75% of your screen size (for both axes). Eg. for
> an 1024x768 pixel image this will result in an zoom factor of 58%
> if the screen has a resolution of 800x600 pixel.

I'm seeing large images (which don't fit) being scaled down to a tiny size
well below 75% of the available screen area.  I can't tell exactly why yet.

There is also a little oddness with some images I have which should fit
normally on the screen, but for reasons that I can't determine, are scaled
down.

> > allow me to select, with a raido button, something like:
> >      For images larger than the screen:
> >           o  Scale image to fix maximum avalible space.
>
> If you press F11 you will get into fullscreen mode. Normally, in an
> desktop environment with possible multiple windows you don't want to cover
> the whole screen by a single window (at least not automatically).
>
> >           o  Present image at 1:1 with scrollbars where necessary
>
> What is the use case for this? I mean, if you start in image viewer
> to view an image, I suppose you want to see it completely.

My biggest use case is weather maps, which you can find at weather.noaa.gov.
These things are quite large, and when you are viewing them, you want to see
the whole thing, as large as it will go (and sometimes larger to see if a
wind speed is really 40 knots, or if it is really two 20 knots overlapping
each other).  Generally, I'll download more than one (high altitude winds,
low altitude, sea state, and 24, 48, and 72 hour predictions of each), using
a script, and then view them.

Full screen mode (F11) doesn't cut it because the scroll bars disappear, and
the image is only scaled to fit (and ctl-= no longer works).  In fact, with
some of my smaller images (non-weather), they get scaled up!

As far as window size goes, it seems to me to be a policy that should be
determined by the window manager.  75% seems like a decent size, but I'd like
to argue that if you are going to hard code a policy like this into a
program, then you should give the user the option of setting the value
including the option of being able to deactivate it.

I can sympathize with you about feature bloat, sometimes it seems that the
worst thing about open source is that good programs never reach the point
where they have fully matured; there is always some guy out there, like me,
who wants a new feature that perhaps no one else will ever use.

I mean, I could also really use hot keys for rotating the weather maps
because they like to publish some of them sideways (due to the fact that
they are really radio fax images, which have one fixed dimension (width)),
but what I'd really like is a feature more like the GIMP's which lets you
assign the hot keys yourself...

Don't get me wrong, I love EOG!  At least it has scrollbars, and navigable
controls, unlike xv.  Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Mike
(:

--