Re: Eog & gnome-vfs dependency

Jens Finke <jens eknif de> writes:

> the file handling of eog is really a mess. This is mainly because of the
> lack of consequent URI based file handling.  Currently we have a mix of
> old fashioned local path descriptions and simple monikers (which are in
> fact URIs like 'file:/home/jens/foo.png') for resolving bonobo objects.
> To use the BonoboStream/Storage mechanism as a filesystem abstraction
> wasn't a good idea, 'cos it lacks of some important functionality and is
> broken in some ways (it just was not designed for it).
>
> I think we could (and should) change the situation if we would use
> gnome-vfs for all the file handling stuff within eog. Are there any
> objections against this additional dependency? Since gnome-vfs is part of
> the stable development plattform I see no reason for not depending on it.
> What do you think?

No problem at all.  Perhaps EOG itself should load images just with
gnome-vfs, but still provide a means for hydrating an image viewer
control or embeddable via a BonoboStream.

[If you are really bored over the weekend or something, it would be a
good idea to rename eog-shell into eog and just punt the old eog
program.]

  Federico