[Ekiga-devel-list] Let's spread Ekiga : volunteers ?

Hi all,

Most of you already know that I want to reorganize the Ekiga team to
bring fresh air into the project.

The current active project leaders including myself would like o
concentrate on what they do best : coding, packaging, ...

Consequently, we would like to "hire" new contributors who will help the
current team.

Here is the list of tasks I have identified, with the proposed
"maintainers".

1) CODING
---------

Moving Ekiga to the 3.00 release is not a small task. People
coordinating this task are Damien Sandras, Julien Puydt and Jan
Schampera. New coders are welcome.

2) BUG TRIAGING
---------------

We are receiving bug reports, as any software would. There is a
preliminary task before accepting a bug report. This task includes :
checking for duplicates of that bug report, trying to reproduce it,
making sure that all the relevant information has been given by the
reporter and closing old bug reports.

Currently, Julien, Jan and myself are doing this task with the GNOME
bugzilla team. The best would be that some new persons take that task
into their responsability and that we only do "level 2" support for
those bugs.

3) DOCUMENTATION / FAQ
----------------------

Writing Documentation on the WIKI and updating the FAQ is a hard job. It
helps new users with a minimum knowledge to step in and make the
userbase grow.

I propose Yannick as responsible of this task. Yannick is doing an
incredible job in the Ubuntu community. Native speakers will be required
to help him in his job.

4) MANUAL
---------

I am the one to write the manual of Ekiga when there is a new release.
Christopher Warner and Matthias Redlich wrote the first version of the
manual. Ekiga 3.00 will require major updates and a new manual.

We are looking for volunteers for that task too.

5) PACKAGING
------------

Kilian is the current maintainer for http://snapshots.seconix.com.
New architectures, new distributions should be supported and added to
our list. Kilian will need help for that.

6) WEB SERVERS
--------------

Having a professional look for http://ekiga.net and http://ekiga.org is
mandatory for our image.

Fabian Deutsch will coordinate the work for http://ekiga.org, the new
site will be based on Media Wiki.

We need somebody for http://ekiga.net. It will either require writing a
skin for SERWEB or writing new code to handle registrations and welcome
the user. Currently, http://ekiga.net is very limited.

What could be done is incorporating the user signup into
http://ekiga.org and have one unique site with a global offer. Ekiga.org
would also give information about the Ekiga.net service but there would
be no specific site for ekiga.net. We need volunteers for that and
Fabian needs help.

7) WORD OF MOUTH

We need somebody to coordinate the "press" team. More articles about
Ekiga, more hype, spread it !

That is an important part of every project. It needs volunteers.

Thanks for reading me !
--
 _      Damien Sandras
v_/_  NOVACOM                 : http://www.novacom.be/