GNOME 2.15.90 released!

=====================
GNOME 2.15.90 Release
=====================

The latest development release of GNOME is here: GNOME 2.15.90, a.k.a.
GNOME 2.16 Beta 1!  2.16 is rapidly approaching and it is time to
start your heavy testing.  Come and see all the new features, the cool
new API, the bug fixing, the new translations and all the updated
documentation brought to you by the wonderful team of GNOME
contributors!

With this release, we have a slew of new freezes that we just hit.
Developer API/ABI should be frozen at this point with all new APIs
documented, no UI changes may be made without approval from the
release-team and notification to the GDP, and no new features without
approval from the release-team.  We also remain in the string change
announcement period -- all string changes must be announced to both
the gnome-doc-list and gnome-i18n lists.  New modules are supposed to
be chosen...but that hasn't quite happened yet; expect an email or two
before the end of the week.

We note that the 2.14.x versions of gnome-system-tools will be used
for GNOME 2.16 instead of gnome-system-tools>=2.15.x (see
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-July/msg00705.html
for more details).

Unfortunately, some of our external dependencies are having issues, so
to build, you may have to apply some patches to these external
modules:

dbus-glib:
In order to build, it requires a running copy of dbus>=0.90 OR the
dbus-glib-build.patch available at
http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/2.15.90/ to be applied.

hal:
Most recent release (from February) uses deprecated and removed API
from dbus.  Use the fix-hal.patch from
http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/2.15.90/

libxklavier:
Specifies -Werror in its makefiles but doesn't build without warnings.
If this affects you, apply the
libxklavier-2.91-fix-build-with-gnu-libiconv.patch from
http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/2.15.90/ (note that the patch
name mentions the reason I need it, but it could be needed for other
reasons, e.g. a new version of gcc).

opal, pwlib:
These modules allow the user to specify a prefix to install them into
when building, but ignore the specified prefix and look for important
files in /usr and /usr/local, among other things.  See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-July/msg00727.html
for hints on how to work around this.

The notes that describe the changes between 2.15.4 and 2.15.90
are here:

admin    - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/admin/2.15/2.15.90/NEWS
bindings - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/bindings/2.15/2.15.90/NEWS
desktop  - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/desktop/2.15/2.15.90/NEWS
platform - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/platform/2.15/2.15.90/NEWS

The Gnome 2.15.90 release is available here:

admin sources    - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/admin/2.15/2.15.90/
bindings sources - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/bindings/2.15/2.15.90/
desktop sources  - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.15/2.15.90/
platform sources - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/platform/2.15/2.15.90/

To compile GNOME 2.15.90, you can use GARNOME
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/, which supports users), or
the jhbuild (http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html) modulesets available at:

      http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/2.15.90/

We hope you'll love it,