Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 12:02 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Dan Winship <danw novell com> wrote:
> <snip many arguments that make a lot of sense to me>
> > So how about we pull a Solaris and call this fall's release "GNOME 16", next
> > spring's "GNOME 18", etc?
>
> Because if we're going to change the versioning, we should fix the
> spelling at the same time.  So it'd be "Gnome 16" and "Gnome 18".  ;-)
>
> I kind of like the idea of referring to the minor and micro version
> number of Gnome as its version number.  The 2 is understood (by the
> developers) and people tend to call e.g. "2.14" a major release
> anyway, so we might as well call our next version "Gnome 16"
> publically.  But, I doubt most would agree...

Never understimate peoples' capacity to misunderstand things like
version numbers, API, and ABI. The combinations and permutations of
misunderstanding are already numerously sprinkled all over various
online forums. Please try not to give them too many extra ways to not
understand.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com