High Contrast Icons

There has been a discussion on gnome-themes-list about how we can improve the coverage of the high contrast icon theme. It was generally agreed that it was unrealistic to try and maintain icons for every application within GNOME in the high-contrast-theme itself. The alternative is that individual applications should be responsible for installing a high contrast icon into the high contrast theme.

If an application calls itself "accessible", having high contrast icons should be one of the requirements. Applications are allowed to install icons into the hicolor theme; if we're really taking accessibility seriously, then high contrast themes should have a similar status to hicolor.

The work for individual application maintainers is minimal. Most icons can simple be removed from the high contrast theme and added to their respective modules.

Does anyone have any comments on this idea, and how we can encourage maintainers to include high contrast icons? Accessibility is one of the cornerstones of GNOME, so it would be a shame to let it slip on this issue.

-Thomas