Re: roadmap status update/update request

Well the secret to open source success is that the users and developers
are the same people.  Projects where developers aren't users tend to
wallow in decay and misery.  This is why, for example, there isn't much
in the way of open source children's software, or open source tax
preparation software.  These are areas where its hard for a grass-roots
type of project to emerge.

The way to get this sort of thing implemented if you're merely a user
and not a developer is to hire someone to do it for you.  IBM has done
this with, for example, linux support for IBM mainframes, which likely
wouldn't be anything like it is today without IBM paying for that
development.  Similarly, there are a number of things that exist in the
GNOME desktop today that likely would not if not for the support of
companies like Red Hat, Ximian, and now Novell.

I don't think that very many developers would get angry if someone took
the time to compile a web page on enhancement requests.  What would make
them angry is if anyone tried to claim that because something appears on
that page, they have an obligation to spend their time working on that.
Experience shows that bugzilla voting leads to exactly this sort of
expectation, and this is the reason why voting wasn't enabled.  The
voting ends up being at best a placebo like the buttons at many
intersections, and at worst a source of friction between some users and
the developers.  Also, it makes developers' lives easier if all the
issue tracking is kept in bugzilla, so any such page would ideally be
simply a front-end to bugzilla.

I think that perhaps creating a dynamic bounty page where people can
make a donation to the foundation and ask that a bounty be created for a
specific bug for some percentage of the donation would be cool.  (The
donation would have to include administrative costs, so perhaps say 75%
of the donation would go directly to the bounty, and the foundation
could buy bonds or an insurance policy on paying the bounties, so that
this could become a revenue source for the foundation).  People could
make additional donations to add to the bounty for a particular item.
This way users can vote with their cash.  I could even imagine some
people working full time on bounties based on bounty winnings, though
there is some concern about collaboration and cooperation if the money
becomes significant.  Also, the bounties would have to be pre-approved
by maintainers so we don't end up with bounties on features that won't
be accepted under any circumstances.  I wonder how high the bounty would
get on "add click to raise as an option"?

-Rob