Detecting GNOME

Hello!

  Is there a simple way to check if GNOME manages an X display? I have
an app, which would integrate with GNOME; however I don't want to depend
on GNOME libs and I don't want to load them if user doesn't have it
already loaded.
  The app is written in python. Actually I only want to run GNOME
browser/mailer if user runs GNOME and predefined apps if he doesn't.
  I thought of checking if gnome-session is run in the system, but this
will fail in many cases. Probably the best way would be to try to find
something related to GNOME through X protocol. However, I googled a bit
and didn't found any answer.

Thanks for your attention,

Tomasz Melcer