Bugzilla will be DOWN Sat 9 April 17.00-20.00 UTC

Bugzilla.mozilla.org[1] announced[2] a contest for when they'd reach
bug number 300.000. Such a bug number for a product that just reached
1.0[3] is not right. As GNOME[4] is at 2.10[5], GNOME should be using
bug numbers in the 300.000 range well before Mozilla. We
(bugzilla.gnome.org bugmasters) have concluded this needs to be
resolved. This requires bugzilla.gnome.org[6] to be down Saturday 9
April from 17.00 - 20.00 UTC[7]. The downtime is needed to make the bug
numbers start from 300.000.

We believe this change proves once more GNOME's dedication to giving
users and developers the ultimate level of control over their desktops,
their software, and their data.

While increasing of the bug number we will also perform some other
tasks, such as:
 * Import some 40.000 bugs from bugzilla.Ximian.com[8]
 * Change to another database server

== Ximian bug importing ==
The bugs of the following products will be moved to bugzilla.gnome.org:
  Evolution, Evolution-Data-Server, evolution-sharp,
  GtkHtml, GAL, Soup, Connector

Because of some free space in the 200.000 range, we will be dedicating
that range to Ximian bugs. We will manually assign each Ximian bug a
GNOME bug number. This using the formula:
   ximian_bug_number + 200.000 = gnome_bug_number.
This means that Ximian bug 70014 can be found as bug 270014 on
bugzilla.gnome.org. The ximian bug will automatically redirect to the
gnome one.

Accounts at Ximian used on a product mentioned above will be re-created
on bugzilla.gnome.org (same password). Using means: reported, commented,
made a change, or cc'ed. Persons who resolved (fixed, duplicate, ...) a
bug at Ximian and were not the reporter will get canconfirm+editbugs
permissions. This only for bugs in the products mentioned before.
Accounts that already existed at b.g.o will keep their existing settings
and permissions.

As a result of the import the following persons will no longer be part
of the top 15 bug closers of all time:
  Pawel Salek (1948 bugs)
  John Fleck (1888 bugs)
  Bastien Nocera (1794 bugs)
We suggest these persons spend even less time doing non-Bugzilla work.

== Change database server ==
We will be switching bugzilla.gnome.org's database server. The old one
runs MySQL 3.23; the new one 4.1. The new database server also has a
nicer hostname.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Isn't artificially increasing the bug number cheating?