Proposed modules: my consensus so far

For the sake of discussion, this is what I think the consensus looks like
so far [1]. But it's still early:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.9/#API_Freeze

For most of these modules, the maintainers need to take some action to
convince us. We are not likely to approve stuff just because there are no
objections, and not if there are lots of open questions.

All of the proposed module maintainers need to contact the usability,
internationalization, documentation, and accessibility teams to get
feedback where appropriate. It would make the release-team's job easier if
they gave desktop-devel-list a little status report when they have done
that.

*** Desktop:

gnome-schedule:
  I need to actually look at it. It's probably too techy.

gnome war pad (gwp):
  No. People should talk to the gnome-games maintainer about adding new
games.

polypaudio (to replace esound):
  Strong consensus to replace esound with something. But there are open
questions: What do developers who use sound APIs think? What do KDE
think?

libgnomesu:
  Not until a Desktop modules uses it, or says that they want to use it.

gwget:
  No, this functionality belongs in epiphany.

gnome-doc-utils:
  Yes, already used by Desktop modules.

pygtk:
  No, this is already a Platform Binding.

totem:
  Yes, strong consenus, and recent improvement apparently.

galago:
  Not until a Desktop modules uses it, or says that they want to use it.

libnotify and notification-daemon:
  Not until a Desktop modules uses it, or says that they want to use it.
Has never made a tarball release.

nautilus-sendto:
  No idea - needs more discussion. If the evolution-sendto plugin is a
separate tarball then that should be proposed too, because it would be
useless without it.

*** Developer Platform:

pygtk: No, this is already a Platform Binding

*** Platform Bindings:

gnome-python: Yes. It now has an active maintainer and it is now API-stable.

[1] Remember, I am a muppet.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com