Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 15:20 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Colin Walters">
>
> > I think the answer to that is that GNOME should target GStreamer; apps use
> > the GStreamer source and sink provided from the GConf keys.  Then we
> > simply drop esound, and state that it is assumed that the target platform
> > provides sound mixing via one mechanism or another.  GNOME distributors
> > can change the default sink key.
>
> Won't that involve *everything* being linked to GStreamer via libgnome? (Not
> that I don't like the idea, but it has to be asked...)

Yes.

But the long term plan is to kill libgnome; when we push the sound event
handling into GTK+ via a plugin, we can probably engineer it so that the
plugin (which would link to GStreamer and GConf) is only loaded if sound
events are enabled (determined from an X property, propagated from GConf
via g-s-d).