Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 17:55 -0700, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 01:21 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> >
> > In either case, adding to GNOME dependencies on Java/J2EE or C#/.Net  is
> > absurd and a waste of resources.
>
> Exactly what part of it is a waste of resources? No one is suggesting we
> depend on non-free software, so I'm not sure where you're getting this
> J2EE or .NET from.

Must I constantly use a "don't reply yet, read more below" phrase?

> > It is important that the Free Software community has something to
> > interpret or even handle these proprietary languages (and don't give me
> > ECMA RF "sand in the eyes", since there's a lot outside of it that many
> > will want/need when developing with .Net) because we have to have a way
>
> Thats why we restrict ourselves to ECMA, and our *own* library stack. No
> one wants GNOME to depend on .NET -- its simply not on the table. Please
> read the big long parent thread if you don't understand what people are
> arguing.

The question is that it is incomplete enough to be useless to a lot of
people, so not really that usefull to be something to base upon.

> > We have viable options, and the smarts needed to make them available not
> > to a particular language but to many (if not all).
>
> Thats the whole crux of the discussion! Please let us know what you
> consider the alternatives to be.

perl, python if you want to make a smaller selection.
python might be more apt since it has a simpler syntax and is object
oriented by nature, which adapts well to the GUI paradigm.

> > Besides, I'm terribly afraid of "viruses" starting to show up due to
> > uneeded scripting...
>
> Neither Java nor C# are scripting languages.

I know. But VB wasn't too :) Then came VB Script.
Anyways, this part is only slightly related to the topic.

>  Linux is not Windows.

Of course not, you want to compare a kernel with a kernel+(rest of the
system)+windowingsystem+desktopenvironment?

It's unfair!

Rui

+ So let's do it...?