Re: Where we stand in regard to the future platform / desktop technology

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 15:37, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 09:27, jamie wrote:
> >
> > At various levels, yes, but there is no current open source java + JVM
> > that is close to complete. Classpath will require more time to complete,
>
> Open source Java is certainly as complete as ECMA core of .NET. The
> missing bits are all the add-on libs. Remember, the legally-safe Mono
> (even with letter from Microsoft) does not include the interesting class
> libraries! We're using Classpath with Mono too if we adopt Mono, not the
> .NET APIs.

True - we dont wanna play cat and mouse with MS.

> Though granted this is too complex for people to get, people will use
> the .NET APIs anyway despite legal problems, and that's exactly the fear
> and danger.
>
> > GCJ does not fully use ClassPath yet and AFAIK none of them can run
> > Eclipse in its entirety.
>
> Red Hat ships Eclipse compiled with gcj and it works fine.

Is it complete and have they solved the hangs? I'm keen to use Eclipse
but last time I looked it wasn't very stable with gcj. Also the
performance of it leaves a little bit to be desired dont you think?
(hence my desire for a high performance solution for the desktop)

jamie.