Re: [Fwd: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage]

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 11:59, Ghee Teo wrote:
> >>Unless we make further enhancement such that *each version* of gconf
> >>releases uses its
> >>*own version* of the backend configuration data.
> >>Can this be done, is this a good idea to explore this?
> >>

> >	You're making zero sense now AFAICS.
> >
> >	First you wonder whether the rational in the mail justifies making a
> >change such that editing configuration in a GNOME 2.8 login is not
> >reflected when you log back into GNOME 2.4 or earlier. Now you suggest
> >that we make such a change *every* release?
> >
>     Sorry if I have made a quantum leap in my reasoning, let ignore all
> suggestions made
> for the time being :)
>
>     So just go back to the start,
>
>         1) Lessen the pain of sharing a homedir between simultaneous
> logins by
>             saving apps configuration as atomic units. This then gives
> us the
>            same hypothetically-broken-but-usually-OK behaviour as
> regular dotfiles.
>

> 	What are the probelms you are talking about?

	This problem:

"
  The files that contain your preference settings are currently in
  use.
  You might be logged in to a session from another computer, and the
  other login session is using your preference settings files.
  You can continue to use the current session, but this might cause
  temporary problems with the preference settings in the other session.
  Do you want to continue?
"

	(From sun-patches/gnome-session/400-4775909-s.diff)

	With the change I made, we can now use "local locks" and the problem
becomes the same as an app which stores its configuration in a .ini
style configuration file.

Cheers,
Mark.