Re: Extent of localisation customisation

On Tuesday at 18:08, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:

>> Before entering this swamp I'd like to see some
> convincing arguments
>> that users realllly want/need to create their own locale.
>
> At least I did not want it. All I wanted it to be able
> to specify LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8,
> LC_MONETARY=en_IE.EURO,LC_NUMERIC=en_US and so on...
> But the truth is that good interface for organizing
> this stuff can be difficult to design. Otherwise we'd
> stick with "ad-hoc" locales which would be ignored by
> non-gnome locales.

That's what my "idea" of generic locales for date, currency and number
formats is all about.  Imagine being able to set instead:

  LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
  LC_MONETARY='i18n money-0,000.00 $'
  LC_NUMERIC='i18n number-0 000.00'

This would not depend on the stability of such locales as en_IE.EURO,
or whatever, and we'd need not try loading all the locales, and
looking for a suitable format.  Perhaps doing the latter (going
through all the locales, and looking for suitable format) would work
in most cases, but it's a bit harder to achieve (even though it would
be backwards-compatible; i.e. we'd not require latest-and-greatest
locale collections from our users).  Yet, I'm not even sure detecting
all available locales is really consistent across systems (Carlos has
been doing some work there, if I remember correctly).

Cheers,
Danilo