Re: Some ideas for redesign of the GNOME Menus

Hi Davyd,

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 19:05, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> Since people would like to get rid of the distrobution specific menu and
> all that. I thought that perhaps it's worth looking at the layout of the
> entire GNOME menus.

	This doesn't seem to be radically different from the JDS
re-organisation (and quick-launch:// idea) which I suggested we try and
get upstream.

	I'd prefer not to have a gigantic thread here on what everyone's
favourite setup for the menu is. We're not in short of ideas, we're
short of people with the background necessary to come up with a plan
which is workable for everybody.

	The huge interminable threads about what everybody's favourite file
selector would look like didn't help the design process much. It got
done in the end by the right people going off and doing it and then
taking feedback.

	That's how the menus thing will get done - the likes of Seth, Calum or
Bryan will take a good look at everything, figure out what's best and
some likely hacker will write the code. Design by the masses just
doesn't work.

	I wish this wasn't the case, but it is and there's no point in letting
people think otherwise. Huge threads on stuff like this just serve to
make hackers sad and don't actually get us anywhere.

Thanks,
Mark.