Re: Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:48 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 06:05 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > > For gnome-volume-manager to go in, I assume that we need to require the
> > > components in the Utopia stack - specifically HAL, which then requires
> > > D-BUS.
> >
> > udev?
>
> Yah: so then we require udev, 2.6 kernel, and hotplug.
>
> Although these are soft requirements in the sense that HAL will work but
> we have reduced (read: near worthless) functionality.  But it does imply
> some sort of nice fallback.

Try to start HAL without a /sys mounted, and you'll see how it behaves
on a 2.4 kernel. It just doesn't work (getting the caps of OSS devices
will barf, for example).

It's not just "worthless", it's just broken.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had
also never met.