Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 21:51 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> OK, just to gratuitously whine ;-)

Havoc ! !

> One more control panel - ugh. They are like weeds! Worse, apparently
> being driven by tarball organization of the release, not by top down
> design :-/ cf. "Preferences, System Tools" thread. Not a problem of your
> making, but...

I want the control panel applet gone.  Totally gone.  Totally agree.

I think a better place for most (all?) of the settings is in the
'Default Application' applet.  Similar to Mac OS X.  "Application for
opening Photos", etc.

I would be willing to move forward on this if the general consensus was
the same.  It would require patching gnome-control-center I guess.

> Secondary whine - we could benefit from getting the footprint of the
> desktop down. I wonder if reducing the number of separate processes
> (applets, daemons, etc.) is one element of that.

While I agree that the general footprint of the desktop is an issue, I
am less inclined to acquiesce here.  I like g-v-m as a daemon.  It is
simple.  It listens and responds to things.  Like a daemon.

That said, g-v-m is written entirely as an FSM with no saved state
(modulo gconf keys) in between hardware events.  That means it would be
easy to convert it to run as a HAL callout, if we should want to go that
route.

Either way, I want g-v-m to exist at the GNOME level.  I want it to be
GNOME's idea about what the policy of volume and media management should
be.

> Neither of these problems is g-v-m specific so of course I'm just using
> the occasion to whine, not opposing g-v-m inclusion ;-)

;-)

	Robert Love