Re: Preferences, System Tools

Jeff said:

> <quote who="Jody Goldberg">
>
> > Sounds like we're saying the same thing.  My concern was that we not
> > pigeon hole these elements with the title 'accessibility'.  Users are more
> > likely to consider looking in here with a label of 'Usability'
>
> "Universal Access"

Yay!

> > One thing to consider would be the potential to violate the principle
> > (named ?) of having only one place to tweak any given setting.  There
> > appears to be a use case for a simple ui of usability features vs a full
> > on accessx style all singing all dancing accessibility layout.  The
> > current approach of having a keyboard capplet launcher in the accessx
> > capplet to get repeat speed is not scalable.
>
> Totally, totally agree.

It's not a good general solution, I agree.  However, there are cases
where it solves the very real issue of different users (perhaps
accustomed from different OSes) expecting to find features in different
places.  Now and then I think it's OK to put in a signpost where we
expect people to be looking.  We can reduce the number of places where
this happens, by thoughtful design, but we can't make the issue vanish
completely.

- Bill