Re: [Utopia] Re: Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 23:10, Robert Love wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 23:12 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > If it only means creating and maintaining a 'stable' branch of HAL for
> > the duration of the GNOME 2.8 series, sure, no problem, I can commit to
> > that. The only interesting things we could export in that stable branch
> > at that point though would be storage and network devices and maybe USB
> > printers (Joe?), these seem to be pretty stable and useful today. One
> > thing I don't want to do this early is to start freezing API/ABI in HAL.
> > It's simply too early to do that.
>
> I was just told that as a member of the Desktop release, in lieu of the
> Platform release, we don't even need to maintain compatibility during
> 2.8.
>
> We just need to not be a big flaming mess, and we need to code freeze in
> August (for that release).

Right. I think that proposing g-v-m is a good thing then. I suppose the
way to go about HAL is to just use it when it's there much the same way
that FAM is used if available. If it's not there, g-v-m simply won't be
built. If this happens I'll make sure to have a stable/unstable branch
of HAL in any case.

One thing about HAL is that users want to get it from their OS vendor as
'some assembly is required' e.g. fstab integration to name one :-). It
would be difficult to distribute with GARNOME or jhbuild as the HAL
daemon runs as root.

Cheers,
David