Re: Lock'n'load! [Was: Integrating system tools in GNOME]

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:42:06PM -0500, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> El vie, 04-06-2004 a las 11:37, Jody Goldberg escribi??:
>
> > Things can get very murky, I doubt we'll ever have a crystal clear
> > delineator.  Look at something like the keyboard layout.   That is
> > currently a user preference which is mostly correct, but the vast
> > majority of users to date have been tweaking that at the system
> > level in the XF86Config.
>
> I always tweak that in XF86Config.  It is definitely not a user
> preference, although there are bandaid solutions which help the user
> change keyboard layout.
>
> Given that keyboard changes are one every three years, it's safe to
> assume that the system should have a system-wide keyboard setting.
> Which modifies XF86Config.  So multi head machines can work correctly.

And this is exactly why we're not going to see a clear seperator
between user and system.  Sergey would have exactly the opposite
perspective here.  Users that frequently flip amongst various
layouts want to configure this at the user level.  You and I only
reconfigure when we get new keyboards.  Potentially the answer in
these situations is to support both...