Re: Proposed: gnome-netstatus

Hey,

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 15:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With profuse apologies to Mark, I managed to let his gnome-netstatus
> proposal fall on the floor. It was proposed in early December:
>
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-December/msg00052.html
>
> He wanted to raise some discussion points about gnome-applets, gnome-network
> and gnome-netstatus, whether there should be some combining action going on,
> and stuff like that, so I'll leave the intro up to him.

	Right, we don't usually leave applets in tarballs so I was considering
whether it should be merged into gnome-applets or gnome-network,
perhaps.

	Seeing as I keep saying gnome-network needs to be split up, that
probably wouldn't be the best option.

	So, that leaves gnome-applets - my problem here is that we know have 16
applets (give or take) in gnome-applets and it just seems to be getting
into a bigger and bigger mess. Kevin has made some great efforts to
clean the module up, but when you have a module with code written by so
many authors left to the maintenance of a single other person, you're
bound to end up with cruft.

	Basically, gnome-applets (IMHO) is a mess and I don't want to make it
worse.

	The only way out of the gnome-applets problem I see is that by
splitting it up into smaller more maintainable chunks we might be able
to attract some more people to maintain it. But maybe I just have some
weird illness that makes me think splitting modules up is the solution
to everything :-)

Cheers,
Mark.