Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 18:19 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Unless I have desktop = Home. Sorry, I am opposed to hardcoding
> directories in that manner cause it kills future possibilities for the
> desktop ergo my desire for an FDO lib.

This is an orthogonal issue to the translation approach in my mind.
desktop = home could be interesting, but the issue here is how we
provide for translated directory names.

desktop = home really requires further coding in the UI, such as not
displaying both the Home and the Desktop shortcut in the file chooser if
desktop = home. If we ever made desktop = home the default, it would
require migrating the current ~/Desktop. All of this desktop = home
related coding would be easier if the implementation of desktop today is
KISS.

desktop = home does not just come for free by making the desktop
directory configurable, and that's why I think it's an orthogonal issue,
because it needs its own implementation work anyhow.

Havoc