Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

Il giorno sab, 11-12-2004 alle 12:10 -0500, Havoc Pennington ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:54 +0100, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that translating the name on the fly introduces a lot of
> > behavior inconsistencies (cannot be moved, cannot be renamed, they
> > change name whe changing locale or are accessed by another user etc)
> > between these special folders and normal folders. I fear that this would
> > be fairly confusing for a user since these folders are in its ~ and they
> > show up in nautilus in the exact same way as his normal folders
>
> These issues are intrinsic to "special-cased folders," not to how they
> are translated. In other words if you have a special folder for sharing
> or for desktop, then you get these kind of effects.
>
> So I would take this as an argument to avoid special folders (maybe only
> have ~/Desktop) rather than as an argument about how to localize them.

Some of these problem are general for special folders and I agree that
we should limit their use as much as we can.

However some of them are specific to the translate-in-the-UI and not on
disk approach: for instance the fact that you open your ~ in nautilus
from .it locale, look at the folders that you have, try to create a
folder named "Public" and an error shows up saying that Public already
exists despite the fact that you don't see any folder already named
"Public" in nautilus.
Or the fact that the user by mistake deletes "Modelli" ("Templates" in
italian) because he doesn't need it, after some time he decides he wants
the feature back creates a normal folder named "Modelli" and things do
not work.

paolo