Re: UnAnswered questions about spatial switch

Would a potential solution to the many-windows problem
be a right-click option?  I.e., you right click on a
folder, and the following menu pops up:

--------------------------------
| Open Folder                   |
| Open Folder in Same Window    |
| Move Folder to Trash          |
--------------------------------

The default behavior would be to open the folder in a
new window, but the second option would allow you to
keep the desktop from getting too cluttered.

However, do many people use the right-click menus or
even think to go there?

A related question: in how many nested folders do most
users keep their data?  Do most users have maybe one
folder separation betweeen their ~/ folder and their
data, or do they have lots of subcategories?  If the
former, then the cluttered-windows problem isn't
really much of a problem.  If the latter, then maybe
the right-click option could be a solution.

<back to lurking>

~Andrew

P.S. It's too bad the spring-loaded folders method is
patented.

--- Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 15:42, John McCutchan wrote:
>
> > 1) MacOS used to use the spatial model, now they
> don't why did they
> > switch?
>
> Probably the same reason they now favour flashy
> graphic effects over
> ease-of-use :)
>
> Cheeri,
> Calum.
>
> --
> CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun
> Microsystems Ireland
> mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop
> Group
> http://ie.sun.com                      +353 1 819
> 9771
>
> Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those
> of Sun Microsystems

=====
~~~~~~~~~
dissertus scribendo latine videri volo.