Gnome panel on multiple X-screens?

Sorry if this is a FAQ- I've looked in all of the usual places and could
not find a straight answer.

I'm running a multi-headed X display (Redhat 9, gnome2, gnome-panel
2.2). It has :0.0 and :0.1 screens.

Everything works great, except that I can't get the gnome-panel active
on more than one screen simultaneously. I would ideally like to have a
separate panel on each screen.

When I try to launch a new gnome-panel from the primary gnome-panel,
there's no way for me to "move" it to the second screen. I expected this
behavior, but I thought I'd include it for completeness.

If I try to launch a new gnome-panel from the command line, manually
setting the -screen or DISPLAY variable to the second screen, a new
panel still pops over the first panel on the first screen! There doesn't
seem to be any way I can get the panel onto the second screen! Every
other application I run comes up just fine on the second screen, just
not gnome-panel.

Any ideas? Right now because of this panel issue I can't get a nice
virtual desktop on my second screen, nor a graphical program launcher. I
could use a different window manager or use some other application to
act as a launcher/virtual desktop interface, but I'd rather use the
gnome panel if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,
-D