Re: Lockdown... Take 2

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 14:19, Matt Keenan wrote:
> Alexander Larsson wrote:

> >>Sometimes we can, sometimes its not always that simple. For instance,
> >>the open terminal menu item in the nautilus desktop menu *could* look
> >>for all the different terminals it tries to start and check permissions.
> >>However, that would be a) pretty slow, and b) a pain in the ass.
> >

> > Of course, it would be a lot cooler if it did, so maybe we should try
> > these sorts of things before going to gconf keys.
>
> Sounds like a nightmare, trying to figure out all possible filenames that
> launch a terminal and then restrict these from the menu's...

Depends on what you mean of course. For the nautilus terminal menu item
there is a list of apps that it tries to launch. Figuring out which
would be chosen for your system and if it can be executed would be
simple.

> List of what's is allowed in the menu is far neater approach, that way
> if someone simply :
> 	cp /usr/bin/gnome-terminal ~/my_backdoor
> They still will not be able to see my_backdoor appear in a menu item..
>
> Then again they need CLI access to perform the "cp" in the first place :)

Not necessary, you could copy the file with nautilus, or open/save as
with gedit.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a gun-slinging voodoo vagrant on a search for his missing sister. She's a
brilliant Bolivian college professor in the witness protection program. They
fight crime!