RE: Lockdown stuff

> From: Matt Keenan [mailto:Matt Keenan sun com]
[snip]
> A number of new Gconf keys need to be created and I propose
> that these be kept in one location, makes identifying keys
> used for lockdown so much simpler if they are in one place, such as :
>
>      For General Desktop Lockdown keys :
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/<lockdown_key>
>
>      For specific application lockdown keys :
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/<app>/<lockdown_key>
[snip]
>      New Keys :
>
> /desktop/gnome/lockdown/panel/disable_run_application     boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/panel/disable_run_find_files
>      boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/panel/disable_run_log_out
>      boolean
[snip]

I'm quite ignorant about this stuff, so you might want to ignore this, but:

I think that gconf 2.4 allows this "disabled"ness of a key to be some
attribute of the key itself. Here's a clue that I found:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-deployment-list/2003-September/msg00010
.html

Also, it's not clear to me how the UNIX access control system can be used to
prevent normal users from changing either this, or the value of your
disable_* keys. I think lockdown is already implemented for some things, so
I guess this has been taken care of.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net