Re: egg_* functions

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 20:35, Loban A Rahman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please explain what the egg_* functions are for, and why
> they are littered _everywhere_? Mostly the second part, cause I've sorta
> figured out the first.

I forget what the egg stands for exactly, but the libegg suite is a set
of experimental widgets and features.  It's mostly a testing ground -
when the widgets become stable and well tested (thru use by apps) they
are moved into GTK+ or another core library.  Since libegg is constantly
moving, apps can't really link against it, so they have to cut-n-paste
the code in.  It's not particularly elegant, but it's the only way
really to make sure new widgets, both in API and user-function, are well
designed and work good the app authors and users.