Re: close button on terminal tabs

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:28:33PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:01, Calum Benson wrote:
> > Evan Martin wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a good argument why tabbing shouldn't be handled by the window
> > > manager?[1]
> >
> > This is pretty much what the HIG team were hoping for when they wrote
> > their much-slated "MDI is evil"-type guidelines.  A similar sort of
> > window manager has been done before (I forget what it was called, but
> > Greg might remember), so it's not impossible.  However it's evident that
> > Havoc doesn't relish the task of screwing up metacity by trying, so I
> > think somebody else is going to have to step up to the plate this time :)

The one I tried was PWM. At least at the time, it had too many spec and
design bugs to allow an evaluation of window manager tabbing.

> I'd reiterate my earlier suggestion also about the many ways the window
> list could be made more like tabs - allow reordering, allow animated
> icons, etc. - the question being what are the ways that tabs would still
> be better. I believe there probably are some ways but it'd be worth
> thinking this through. Maybe much of the issue is that the window list
> and metacity aren't polished enough in their window handling.

I'm looking at bug #81222 still, for a reply to the usability thread about
this.

Animation works . . .

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2003-September/msg00122.html

 . . . unless you had something else in mind.

Cheers,
Greg