Re: GNOME Nirvana; How to reach it and what to do once we get there. (Addendum)

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 00:05, iain wrote:

> So, what do you ****ing want?
>
> My simple idea would be some sort of rating scheme, 5 GNOME feet awarded
> to first class software heading down to unrated software and a web site
> that has a simple way to find this software. Someone said apps.gnome.org
> and that'd be perfect. Software could be submitted to this software map
> and when submitted would start in unrated. There would be a very clear
> guidelines to what a program needs to have to be a 1foot, or a 2 foot
> etc. For example, to be 1 foot maybe a program needs to be fully HIG
> compliant. 5 foot programs may need to be fully documented, fully HIG
> compliant and fully accessible.

Addendum

To increase in rating, software would need to be submitted for
re-rating, and approved before it gets a new rating. The rating process
could be limited to one rating increase per major gnome release (ie once
every 6 months). It need not be a single step increase either. It may be
conceivable (depending on the level the barrier is set at) that software
could jump from 1 foot to 4 feet in a cycle.

Limiting this to once every 6 months would
a) Weed out software that hasn't been maintained
b) Prevent someone from constantly resubmitting their application
   (Have I reached the next stage yet mummy?)

More addendums to follow once I think of other things I've forgotten.
iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"