Re: Network Monitor applet

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 14:40, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
> 	I've just imported a Network Monitor applet thingy into CVS and
> ftp.gnome.org. Its the gnome-netstatus module and the tarballs is at:
>
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-netstatus/0.9/gnome-netstatus-0.9.tar.bz2
>
> 	Its basically just an applet which is similar to the network status
> icon in the WinXP notification area. It was originally written as a
> status icon for GNOME's notification area, but I never got around to
> making these kind of status icons reasonable to use with the
> notification area.

Do you still plan on making it usable with the notification area? What
were the problems you encountered?

This a really great applet, but in my mind for it to "Just WorkTM" it
would need to use the notification area and be started automatically if
there is a network connection in use. We shouldn't require users to
browse through the applets menu to gain access to "core functionality".

Ideally eventually you would log into gnome for the first time, if you
have a network connection set up it will be displayed in the
notification area. If you don't like it there you can disable it
throught it's own context menu, as well as being able to enable/disable
it with the gnome-system-tools network capplet.

--
Mark Finlay <sisob eircom net>