Re: 2.4 features to consider

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 01:44, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>  - clipboard manager. Perhaps it doesn't need a UI, but it does need
>    to be a "just works" daemon to persist clipboard contents after
>    application exit. A UI to "view clipboard contents" is maybe a
>    bonus. No need for this to be complicated.

Actually, I don't think this is the biggest problem we have with the
clipboard right now.  The biggest problem (as we all know :-)) is that
adding clipboard support to the applications is really hard, and no-one
ever gets it right.  Also, we lack any tutorials that explain how to do
it.  As a result, clipboard support is pathetic; sadly, not just between
apps, but also within the same app.

So, probably it would be worthwhile to simplify the APIs and fix the cut
& paste situation before writing the daemon.  (The daemon does sound
like a lower-hanging fruit, but I don't think it would add that much to
the user experience, given that clipboard support is very limited right
now.)

Also, GTK should support basic cut & paste for its native widgets, like
entry boxes.  Making the implementation of the basic "Cut", "Copy" and
"Paste" menu items trivial (and basically working out of the box for the
stock widgets) should probably be a base requirement of the menu API
that Owen mentioned on gtk-devel-list...

>  - get key GTK 2 ports released and working well. evolution, epiphany,
>    some native-widgets media player such as rhythmbox.

Evolution is basically ported to GNOME 2 now, although there is still a
fair amount of work to do to make it as fast and stable as 1.2 was.  It
should definitely be ready by the time GNOME 2.4 ships, though.  (Also,
people are welcome to check out CVS HEAD, play with it and submit
patches.  :-)  We don't quite have a huge workforce these days.)

Personally, I would also like Evolution to be a standard component of
the basic GNOME desktop, although in the past coordination has proven to
be difficult.

--
Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com>