Re: proposal for MIME behavior in GNOME

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 10:23, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le mer 10/12/2003 à 11:01, Julien Olivier a écrit :
> > > No, you may very well want to open a read-only picture with The Gimp.
> > > I think it's The Gimp's responsibility to handle read-only files
> > > properly.
> > >

> > Yes, and if you want to do that, you can simply add GIMP as an handler
> > for the "view" action.
>
> What's the point then ?

The point is that it wouldn't be there as GIMP is not a viewer, but an
editor. IMHO, I think it's pointless opening a RO files with an editor.
That's why I wouldn't like GIMP to be the default handler for RO files.

That said, after thinking a little more, I think that the "edit" action
should not be disable for RO files. After all, it's up to the editor to
inform users that the files is not editable. But maybe just switching
the default action from "edit" to "view" for RO files... Of course all
that implies that we would have configurable actions (like view or edit,
as opposed to programs) and a way to indicate which axtion is the
default one...

--
Julien Olivier <julo altern org>