Re: LibXML2 Indentation

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 16:32, Chipzz wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2003, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	Why are you trying to edit thousands of xml files mainly inside your
> > .gconf dirs ?
>
> You may not want to edit them, but suppose you (or a bug in a program)
> somehow screwed up your configuration. Then you could do:
>
> mv .gconf .gconf-old
> gnome-session &
> diff -ur .gconf-old .gconf
>
> and see what went wrong (which settings are actually different).
> THAT is an advantage of human-readable formats, not that you can edit
> them.

IIRC, in xml you can tell that some tags may safely ignore spacing or
that some tags may not ignore spacing or both of it at the same time
(but I don't know for certain which is true -- if any --, and I'll rely
on the word of Daniel for that).

The whole purpose of XML e having human readable extensible structured
info, isn't it? If we make it very hard for humans to read it, then
what's the purpose of XML? Yet Another Format [albeit extensible]?

I think that in the case of gconf only very specific tags will need to
be aware of spacing issues, other than that, I can only see advantages
in having it easy to read with mine human eyes... (the bionic update
still hasn't arrived through DHL).

Rui
+ So let's do it...?