Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 16:53, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
>  battfink - Energy saving and battery status utility.
>    Intended to replace the existing Battery Charge Monitor in gnome-utils [5]
>    because it is smaller and simpler.

I like Battfink, but there are still bugs to be sorted.

>   epiphany - A GNOME web browser based on Gecko. [3]
>   http://epiphany.mozdev.org/
>
>   galeon - A GNOME web browser based on Gecko. [3]
>   http://galeon.sourceforge.net/

Out of these I say Epiphany. It's far cleaner, leaner, and generally
cooler.

>   fontilus - Font management and information tools.
>   http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontilus/

Totally rocks, should be in.

>   gaim - Instant messenger (multi-protocol)
>   http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

As MArk has said, this isn't a bad client, but the UI leaves a lot of be
desired and it won't be a GNOME client, just a GTK+ 2 client.  I propose
waiting for libgaim and plugging that into Gossip.

>   gpdf - An xpdf-based PDF viewer.
>   http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpdf/

Please please please!

>   nautilus-cd-burner - Integrated CD burning tool for Nautilus (requires
>     as-yet-unreleased changes to Nautilus for full integration). [6]
>   http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/nautilus-cd-burner/README
>   http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/nautilus-cd-burner/

This is a fantastic tool, and should be in.

>   totem - Movie player for GNOME, currently xine-based.
>   http://www.hadess.net/totem.php3

Should be available. Now that there is an optional GStreamer-based
backend, the default for GNOME could be the GStreamer backend but
distros can use the Xine one if they feel it is better at the time.

>   zenity - Provides graphical prompts and dialogs in shell scripts.
>   http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/zenity/

Small, sweet, straight to the point and very useful for the more
powerful users.  Could possibly be part of the power tools... but as it
is small it could be sneaked into core so that everyone has it.

Ross
                                      jabber: ross jabber debian net
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./