Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 08:41, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Daniel Farrell">
> > We should keep the basic desktop in plain view.  Are there any reasons
> > Gaim shouldn't be including in the basic desktop?
>
> IMHO, Gaim does not integrate brilliantly with GNOME [1], and certainly
> doesn't follow the HIG. I'm not sure the developers are willing to commit to
> the goals of the GNOME Desktop release, either.

I don't think Jeff was quite hard enough on Gaim here.  From what I can
see (I've been playing with CVS on and off for 6 months or so), it goes
out of it's way to not use any GNOME features.  Their IRC channel also
tends to flame you if you ask them "why doesn't GAIM pick up my GNOME
web browser setting".  I really get the feeling that Gaim isn't
interested in being a GNOME application, and probably shouldn't be a
GNOME desktop application, based on their antagonistic attitude towards
GNOME.

> I would love to see a yummy, HIGgy, usable instant messaging app included in
> the Desktop release, even though I don't use them. ;-)

IRC is an instant messenging protocol.  :)

> (One issue with IM stuff is that we can't rely on proprietary protocols and
> servers working, and to satisfy a large majority of the users, we'd really
> be wanting to support them... So, kind of a tough position.)

Yeah, a client that supports jabber first and foremost (assuming that it
doesn't also do IRC, since the UI for that doesn't tend to work out well
with the person-to-person nature of most other IM protocols) should be
the client that we put in the GNOME desktop, when there's a client
that's ready.  I don't have a good feeling that anything will be ready
in the GNOME 2.4 timeframe.
	Greg